Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Redefinition of Rape Laws

Use this space to explore more of your own claim. How did you arrive at your research question? What is it that interests you? What do you wish to explore and why? Spend this space developing your argument.




I have chosen to write about the redefinition of rape laws and the effect(s) they will have on our culture and the possible repercussions that it would create in the legal world, as well as what it would mean for women. Would we, as women, be more in danger of being raped and less likely to get justice because we were “asking for it?”
 I am interested in this topic because I consider the “logic” the people proposing this redefinition use is ridiculous. I am looking forward to examining this topic and explaining why I disagree and why I believe this would be a very bad idea. I hope to learn more about rape laws and how they can affect women’s rights.
One of the laws the GOP is proposing is the redefinition of “forcible” rape. They are alleging that rape can only be considered rape if it is forced upon the victim. For example, a date rape involving drugs that affect reasoning skills would not be seen as a rape because force was not used and in turn would not been accepted in court to allow the victim justice. I’m concerned about what this will mean for women that have been taken advantage of in a circumstance where force was not involved. How will we receive justice if rape is only classified as an act that involves a woman being beaten, bruised, and coerced into a situation that will leave a huge impact on her life? I can only hope that law makers can see that this proposition would do more to endanger lives than to save tax-payers money.

1 comment:

  1. HI Lexi,

    It sounds like you have some groundwork already established. I can tell that you are excited about this draft. Let me know if you would be interested in helping out with more of these laws affecting women's health care rights and I can send you a link for more information.

    What may be interesting to your argument is about tax payer dollars; although, I'm not certain it is relevant, only two-tenths to the penny of each tax payer dollars are used for abortion. This number is rather low.

    What research have you found so far? Have you run into any stopping points?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete