Thursday, January 20, 2011

All about Moi :)

 My name is Alexis Hahne, but I prefer to be called Lexi.  I was born in a little town named Webster City in Iowa, but my family moved to Missouri when I was 4 years old. Buckner, a tiny town not too far from Kansas City is the place I call my home town. My family has lived in the country for several years. We appreciate the space considering there are eight of us, my Dad, Mom, three sisters, and two brothers. Being the oldest of six children gave me a lot of responsibility and has hopefully somewhat prepared me for life outside of home.
I was homeschooled since third grade and thankfully was not part of the cliche of sheltered kids who had no social interaction with people outside of home. Artistic is a word I like to call myself. Theatre and art have been my passions for years and I intend to make it a second career after I finish my BS in Nursing.
My love of reading began as soon as I was able to sound out words. Not many nowaday's are lucky enough to grow up with a parent with a love of reading. My mother would read us bedtime stories and take us on trips to the Library so we could pick out as many books as we wanted. Unfortunately I can get bored with a book if I dont believe it to be interesting. I might not quit reading the book, but it will take me a while to finish it. In regards to writing, as part of both school and fun I have done quite a bit of writing. Many journals have been started but I would eventually either lose the journal or become bored and quit. I have been told that my writing is good, but I'm not sure I agree. Although i truly try, I know I need a lot of work on grammer and punctuation!  Becoming more confident in my reading and writing skills is very important to me because I believe they are very neccessary skills in life.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lexie,

    Welcome to 104! I'm happy that you have chosen to enroll in 104 with me.

    Wow, you have a large family -- something I can appreciate and relate to. I also have a large family. There are six of us total. Between my mom and dad, there are four of us: myself, Aaron, Axle and Alex and between my dad and another woman: Chris, my half-brother who is 6 months older than me and between my dad and my step-mom: Addie, who is 3. Needless to say, when I explain my family situation, people can get confused.

    I find it interesting that you were homeschooled until the third grade. Did you prefer to be in the public or private school systems? If not, how is homeschooling different than attending a public university?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely prefered the private school system! I loved being able to decide what I wanted to learn and the ability to learn at my own pace. My Mom gave me a lot of freedom to choose a lot of interesting subjects as well as helped me choose the right curriculum for my required subjects. Being able to choose for myself really made school more fun that work and I actually enjoyed learning.
    My homeschool was not as strict as college is, My mom didn't really enforce deadlines which actually would have been benificial. In college i'll be able to adopt better studying habits and time management skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Lexie,

    Thanks for responding! I'm glad to hear about your school experiences. Deadlines can be beneficial especially out in the real world, but I'm happy that you do realize that :)

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete